C3»Forums
Christoffer Lernö
56 posts / 1 project
I started programming in the golden days of home computers in the 80s. I never really intended for a career as a programmer, instead I was planning on doing theoretical physics, but I got a job as a programmer almost by accident and here I am over 20 years later. I'm a co-founder of AEGIK AB, a small company that is doing consultant work and building games. I'm also working on the C3 language in my spare time.
Welcome everyone
Edited by Christoffer Lernö on Reason: Initial post
I am very happy that C3 now is part of the Handmade Network.

C3 is first and foremost a vision of what C could be if it did not need to be backwards compatible with itself. C3 is not trying to change the paradigm of C, just make it a bit more ergonomic. Regardless whether C3 succeeds as a language, I hope to show that using C to write a compiler is not particularly hard. There's no need to whip out C++ or some other language with more high level abstractions.

C3 itself takes aim at the points where C could be more user friendly: arrays and strings. Macros are made safer by explicitly marking them as well as introducing hygiene. Because the macros are semantic, rather than through a pre-processor, the resulting language is more IDE-friendly as well.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Welcome everyone
Welcome.
While I'm not really interested in the language, I would be interested in reading about the creation of a compiler.
Christoffer Lernö
56 posts / 1 project
I started programming in the golden days of home computers in the 80s. I never really intended for a career as a programmer, instead I was planning on doing theoretical physics, but I got a job as a programmer almost by accident and here I am over 20 years later. I'm a co-founder of AEGIK AB, a small company that is doing consultant work and building games. I'm also working on the C3 language in my spare time.
Welcome everyone
I'll be blogging about more language concerns I guess. What parts of compiler writing are you interested in?